Tuesday, February 7, 2017
Week 1 Posts and Comments Due Feb. 10
In order to make the posting easier and keep them in order, I will set up a weekly post section on Monday of each week. All you need to do is just click the comment button and add your post from your reading. Since this is the first week of required posts, and I imagine you're all rushing to come up with something to add or may have even completely forgotten to get your book from or are still waiting for it to come in through the library, why don't you just start by sharing the title and general topic of your different books. That way, we can work out any of the "kinks" in the whole process and then be prepared to make some more thorough posts next week. I'll add instructions for comments to next week's posting section on Monday. Good luck to all of you. The initial comment is a sample to give you all an idea of what you can add in the future. Note! If you do not have a google account, you will need to set up a gmail account to post on the blog, but you can delete it after the course if you wish.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sample Comment--Part of my reading this week discussed the passiveness emphasized by Eastern religions and how this differs sharply from what the text termed as the "action-oriented" thinking of my own Western culture. The text explained how Buddhism, for instance, sees suffering as illusory and therefore requires its followers to accept rather than resist suffering as a part of life. While I can understand some of the validity behind such a world view, I also feel that a person should take a stand for his/her self when necessary and not just take whatever lot life hands out. I think it may be difficult for me to understand this aspect of Chinese/Eastern culture, but I hope I can still connect with the people I meet while I am there and better appreciate where they may be coming from.
ReplyDeleteThe book I am reading is Factory Girls: Fro Village to City in a Changing China by Leslie T. Chang. The very beginning of Factory Girls focuses on what it's like to be a young girl in China. It follows one girl as she leaves home in pursuit of having her own job, helping her family, and gaining more independence. The book discusses what working in a factory is really like for a teenage girl in China. It explains the struggles and sometimes the fun times that happen. This part of the book also described how migrants were viewed and the assets they brought to the table. Politically, it's interesting how the migrants were viewed as taking jobs from the local citizens. It is quickly seen in the beginning of the book how the young girls in China are different from American girls in the sense that they have more obligation to help their family and have to work harder in many ways. However, one can also see that the girls are just like American girls by how they want to have fun, go roller skating, have different lip glosses, etc. The beginning of the book does a great job at teaching China's culture but also making it an interesting story.
ReplyDeleteI was actually considering reading your book so I'm interested what you think about it. It definitely looked interesting to see the cultural contrasts between Chinese and American culture for girls and women. I think its interesting how your book talks about migrants the way it does. It almost sounds like the rhetoric that we hear here in America.
DeleteFunny enough I wanted to read this one but saw it wasn't on my list. It's an interest for me mostly because had I not been put up for adoption this would have very much been my life and to see first hand what it would have been like intrigues me. You'll have to let me know how it is.
DeleteThis seems like a very interesting book because it will talk about what factory life is like. People often don't know about where their things are made or what the worker behind that cheap sweater or shoe actually is going through. This should be a very interesting read.
DeleteI'm reading "Myths About Doing Business in China" by Harold Chee with Chris West. After reading the first chapter I believe I' really going to enjoy the book. I know very little about the business practices of China so my perceptions are very stereotypical. The first myth is about the common belief that a single 1.3 billion people marketplace but in reality it is a very diverse business culture China and you have to be very prepared to really understand each market segment to be successful. I definitely can see how business can easily underestimate the many marketing segments and then question why they have not been successful.
ReplyDeleteThis book sounds very interesting and I am excited to see your presentation. I do believe that there are a lot of misconceptions about every culture and nation so it is important for us to understand and differentiate between fact and assumptions.
DeleteChina is much larger and more diverse as a culture than most Americans realize. While the Han ethnic group is most common in China, the government actually recognizes 55 additional ethnic people groups. This ethnic diversity is just one aspect of the many misconceptions visitors and business people have before experiencing China firsthand.
DeleteFor me, I'm reading "The People's Emperor Mao: A Biography of Mao Tse-tung" by Dick Wilson. I've only started to read the first couple of pages, however, it's been a good book so far! The book follows the life of Mao Tse-tung (Zedong) who was undoubtedly the most controversial figure in Chinese politics. So far, I've learned that he came from very humble beginnings in a village with peasants for parents. His parents weren't very literate, but his mother was widely respected throughout the village. He was born in the year of the snake and the book talks about how his parents were told that Mao would possess all the characteristics of a snake (which if we see in the scale of history is true). The book is a little dated, but it still offers an interesting insight into the life of China's most feared dictator. I'm definitely looking forward to reading the rest of this book since I have not studied a whole lot on Mao Tse-tung.
ReplyDeleteSince I started the reading assignment, I've realized how critical the Cultural revolution and Mao Tse-tung are to understanding current Chinese culture. I have to drive downtown three days a week to attend my last semester at the Woodworking Academy - So I decided to listen to an audiobook to brush up on my recent Chinese history. I'm looking forward to hearing your insight on such an important figure in recent Chinese and world history.
DeleteThe book that I have chosen to read is entitled "The Chinese Way in Business - The Secrets of Successful Business Dealings in China" by Boye Lafayette De Mente. I was interested in reading this book because I found the idea of "the secrets of successful business dealings" to be fascinating and I love a mystery, so I am excited to read about how to uncover the "key to success." I have already begun reading the book and am thoroughly enjoying it. The topic is centered around learning to navigate the ins and outs of Chinese bureaucracy, understanding the basic Chinese philosophy of doing business, and knowing how to cultivate strong personal relationships with the Chinese. The beginning of the book started with an introduction of the Chinese culture and now has delved into how China has become the nation that it is today.
ReplyDeleteThis book sounds very interesting! Especially uncovering how China has been so successful over the years and continues to remain successful. I look forward to your presentation so I can hopefully learn some wonderful tips on how to be successful in China.
Delete"To govern by virtue, let us compare it to the North Star: It stays in its place, while the myriad stars wait upon it." - Confucius
ReplyDeleteThe above quote is from an opening chapter in the book I chose to read, titled "Business Leadership in China - How to Blend best Western Practices with Chinese Wisdom" by Frank T. Gallo. As the title suggests, the book covers the application of Western leadership practices to Chinese business culture, and the great need that China currently has for quality business leaders. I've been fascinated by how fundamentally different culture, and business culture is in China versus the US. Frank Gallo explains that one of the biggest reasons for this is the differing philosophical and religious thought behind our two cultures. Chinese culture is heavily influenced by Confucius, buddhism, and Daoism - the West by Christianity and Socratic philosophy. I'm thoroughly excited to spend three weeks learning by firsthand observation.
I think this is an interesting topic because it truly shows us that we can learn from different cultures. It will be educational to see how much Chinese culture is influenced by all the different religions and see those influences in person.
DeleteI chose to read a book entitled "The Chinese Way" by Min Ding and Jie Xu. The opening chapter went over nine concepts that the authors believe are the basis of the Chinese way of life. One proverb that illustrates their way of life states, "A pig is afraid to be slaughtered and a man is afraid to be known." Just like the strongest pig is slaughtered first, the Chinese believe that the people who first express radical ideas will be an easy target. In contrast, Americans view people who express new ideas as particularly valuable. The book goes on to list several other concepts. The authors say that China is more of a tribalist country than a collectivist country--basically, that they strongly support people within their family or circle and are very collectivistic within the croup, but outside the group, they are even more individualistic than the typical American. One thing that I found particularly fascinating was the concept of effortlessism, basically the idea that work is a necessary evil, rewards are all that matter. A lot of the role models selected by the Chinese are "impressive" because they are dedicated to their work, while Americans view these role models as an example of what a typical person would normally do. The nine principles of the Chinese way of life were fascinating to me, and I am excited to see them in person when I get to China.
ReplyDeleteYou will definitely see a lot of these playing out within the various businesses we visit. Feel free to question the guides about them as well.
DeleteI have chosen the book China's Economy: What Everyone needs to know by Arthur R. Kroeber. I was interested in this book because it explains the basics of China's economy without going into too much complicated detail. What I have learned so far from the first few pages is that there are three main parts to China's governance system. To start off China is a bureaucratic-authoritarian nation. China is also a one-party state in which the party oversees most of the organized sectors in life like the governments, media, companies and more. The final part is that China is a formally centralized, but in practice is highly decentralized. I'm really interested to see what this book has in store.
ReplyDeleteThis book sounds really interesting. I want to learn more about China's business world and how it balances the communist government with a capitalist-leaning economy.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI'm reading China Fortunes: A Tale of Business in the New World by John D. Kuhns. It follows a young financier who travels from the United States to China in the 1980s, and in doing so, he approaches the apprehensive mentality of the Chinese to work with the Americans. It shows the infinite possibility of business within the realm of international trade and how quickly someone can gain everything, and lose it all within the same day. It sounds like good insight into the methods of thought, and I'm excited to see what I will learn.
ReplyDeleteNot to mention that the author is a leading China businessman with deep roots in China that have lasted into today's market. This book seems to focus on the potential instability of trade in China, how people in the past have navigated it, and how people will continue to navigate it in the future. Considering the current market climate, this sounds like great knowledge to have for the coming years.
DeleteJesse, your book sounds very interesting, while also being very relevant to business in China. International trade is an important process to learn when providing business and services to other countries.
DeleteNice, it sounds interesting. During the 80's was the biggest time for Chinese financing growth as well as globally, so it should be an interesting read.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThe book I am reading is "How To Do Business in China: 24 Lessons in Engaging the Dragon" by Nick Dallas. As the title tells us, this book is designed to teach one how to do business in China. The author does this by informing us how business is currently done in China. He then helps lay out a starting plan for those wishing to begin doing business there. I'm looking forward to reading more of this book in order to become more knowledgeable on China's current business strategies as well as learning tips that could help throughout my future business career.
ReplyDeleteYour books sounds very interesting! Mine deals with how to deal with business and China, but I look forward to reading more about yours! It definitely is interesting to read how different they conduct business and yet, how similar.
DeleteI love the title of your book. It sounds very interesting because the author writes it like lessons and it just makes me think of the author as a martial arts master and the reader as a student. I think the book will be very beneficial and help you understand how business is conducted in China.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteIn the first chapter of my book: Chinese Business Etiquette and Culture, the author starts talking about the "Confucius" principle. This principle consists of a political system where the emphasis was on properly ordered social relationships in society. I also learned that family is one of the most important things in Chinese culure. People are very respectful to their elders, and not only parents and grandparents, but if you have an older sister or brother, you will treat them with great respect. Family comes first, but your social group matters as well.
ReplyDeleteSo far, I have enjoyed the book I chose and I am excited to learn a lot more.
In our IBC course, we will address some of the differences that arise between collectivist and individualist cultures. We have a lot to learn when it comes to family dynamics.
DeleteI am reading Made in China: What wester managers can learn from trailblazing Chinese entrepreneurs by Donal N. Sull. This book faces two challenging objectives: it helps to create a framework for operations in a volatile economy and helps to provide profiles for some of Chinas most successful national and international companies. It focuses greatly on management, but I am curious to see how much they bring up the topic of leadership as well.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like a really interesting book. The title probably intrigued me the most. I can't wait to hear more about it, especially since mine is more about the history of China. It will also be very interesting if it does incorporate anything about leadership.
DeleteI am reading a book entitled The 36 Ancient Chinese Strategies for Modern Business by Lan Bercu. Written by an international speaker and cross-cultural expert, this book attempts to merge historical Chinese anecdotes with modern business principles. Each lesson not only incorporates the principles but it also offers real life cases to bring the lessons to life. As both of lover of travel and business, I am excited to see what this book will teach me as I begin to read it.
ReplyDeleteI feel this is a book well suited for you. It is good that there are real life cases that can be linked to the lessons in the book. I am interested to hear what you will be presenting to us come the end of the book.
DeleteI am reading "The Beautiful Country and the Middle Kingdom" by John Pomfret. I have only read the introduction, but think that I am going to really enjoy this book. The introduction begins with a short synopsis of the overall book and then continues with how the Middle Kingdom, China, and The Beautiful Country, America have come to rely and grow through one another from 1776 to today. My favorite part was when America is said to be a huge help in China's growth, then China says that they are also a huge growth in America as they are slowly immigrating in to every home with just a three-word phrase: "Made in China." I am very excited to begin this story, and see where it takes me as I begin to read.
ReplyDeletethis book sounds really interesting. I'm really looking forward to your presentation. it honestly is impressive how much of our own appliances and toys are made in China. Can't wait to hear more about it!
DeleteThe book I have chosen to read is "One Child: The Story of China's Most Radical Experiment" by Mei Fong. I am very excited to read this book and although I have only read about the first thirty pages I can already tell that this book will be a very good read. It is accounts from people who have first hand experience and direct effects from the one child policy.
ReplyDeleteI am curious to know more about how families functioned without siblings in China. My book touches effects of it with the millennial generation.
DeleteThe book I chose to read kind of partners with Mitchell's. It's called China's Hidden Children and it contains interviews with parents and their direct feelings and the process of how they gave their children up for adoption. Prior to choosing this I thought the book focused on the one child policy, but was pleasantly surprised to see that it talks about the process of giving up a child. I'm excited to read more and find out about the struggles these parents went through. And hopefully get a feel of what mine went through as well.
ReplyDeleteYes, the one-child policy has left some interesting results that China is still figuring out. Consider questioning one of our guides about what it is like to grow up in a one-child family.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThe book that I am reading is China’s Millennials. So far, the book is comparing and contrasting the Tiananmen students vs. Millennials. The book discusses how both generations wanted the same things in life, such as some Westernization. The only difference is that the Tiananmen students got massacred, but the millennial Chinese generation is getting what they want, although the government has put some conditions on their freedom, such as restrictions on their media consumption. The world sees the Chinese millennials as brainwashed members of collectivist society but in reality, they are no different than American millennials in characteristics. I find it interesting how the author is a millennial himself, and he describes our generation, including the Chinese millennials, as depressed, self-centered, and out of touch with reality.
ReplyDeleteMy book is called Leftover Women: The resurgence of gender inequality in China. This book has the very interesting argument that the Chinese is government and society is pushing more women to marry to avoid being "leftover women". While women are being pushed into marrying, they often do not reap any benefits of marriage because property is put solely in the husband's name. Property rather than income is the more profitable way to gain wealth in China, so women are forced into a situation where they are giving up their access to wealth in order to be accepted into society. This is turn lowers women's economic equality as well as their social equality. This book provides a very narrow, but highly thought out argument as to why pushing women to marry is hurting them in the end and causing more gender disparities. The author uses a combination of personal accounts and statistics to support this argument. The first chapter of the book goes on to talk about the notion of what "leftover women" are and the subsequent chapters describe other forms of gender inequality in China.
ReplyDeleteThis is an interesting notion Rachelle. There are a few factors at play here as well. One is that the one-child policy basically doesn't exist anymore. I mean, it does, but there are so many exceptions that more-or-less anyone who wants more than one child can have one. So they are thinking about long-term solutions. But it is also true that there are 40 million more men in China than women, so there are a lot of leftover men as well. BUT, add to this the fact that the legal age to marry is 22, and that most women don't get married until in their mid to late 20s, and I wonder what will need to occur to get these women to marry. A LOT of women also go off to factories or shops in big cities far away to work, and this dynamic also has an impact on the gender gaps in urban and rural areas. Interesting stuff!
DeleteMy book is Age of Ambition: Chasing Fortune, Truth, and Faith in the New China by Evan Osnos. The author is going to attempt to describe and share this his readers his personal understanding of China's belief system and Chinese peoples culture. The book is going offer the reader concepts as to how china built their economy and how they are changing their views on christianity. "Understanding China requires not only measuring the light and heat thrown off by its incandescent new power, but also examining the source of its energy--the mean and woman at the center of china's becoming."
ReplyDeleteMy book is call, "China Shifts Gears" and it is a book that gives insight into China's economic system and the drastic amount of growth that was experienced by their automotive industry during the late 1990's to early 2000's. Because of the large growth in the automotive industry, the air pollution in china has become an even bigger problem. "Chine Shifts Gears" is a book that talks about the different ways China could move towards making their automotive industry one of the cleanest and most energy effecient car industry in the world.
ReplyDeleteMy book is called "China Business Culture; Strategies for Success" written by Dr. Yuan, Professor Zhang, Dr. Goodfellow, who have been exposed to the western and eastern cultures. This book gives readers deep insight into Chinese business culture and how it China has changed from their traditional business approach and reformed to fit a more modern business approach. Some key areas highlighted in this book include trade history, business values, and negotiating styles.
ReplyDeleteAbigail Flores
Delete