Monday, April 24, 2017

Final Post due April 28

As sad as it may seem to all of you, this is actually our last week of posts. For this week, take a moment to share your favorite quote about traveling with your fellow China Tour participants. In addition, explain why the quote is so meaningful for you. To get things started, here's one of mine: "Afoot and light-hearted I take to the open road/Healthy, free, the world before me/The long brown path before me leading me wherever I choose...Strong and content, I travel the open road." (From Walt Whitman--"Song of the Open Road") And as an extra bonus, if there are still a few of you who have late blogs/posts you'd like to get points for, I will open them up for grading this week only. Blessings and prayers as you finish up this week and prepare for exams~Prof. Schilleman

34 comments:

  1. One of my favorite quotes about travel is "Not all those who wander are lost," J. R. R. Tolkien. I really like this quote because it is one of my grandfather's favorite sayings and he embodies this quote in all of is essence. I also enjoy this phrase because it reminds me to put down my cellphone, my schedule, and my clock, and just to enjoy the adventures that I partake in. This also reminds me of how we don't want to have any regrets upon returning from China. We have to remember that it is okay to sometimes wander and discover new things because that is where the incredible stories and memories will be found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of my favorite quotes. I almost posted this one.

      Delete
    2. I really like this quote as well! It shows me that sometimes it is ok to let go of schedules and plans when traveling and just to go out and experience other cultures.

      Delete
  2. "A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” – Lao Tzu

    As I've said in earlier posts, I've only traveled outside of the US one time, so for me this travel quote sums up how I must approach each and every day of our trip. I'm very excited about going but there are things that make me nervous as well. I just have to remember that each step is a journey and it's not just about being a part of the trip but it's about the experience. As others have said, I want to make the most of this experience and therefore I must take that first step, out of my comfort zone, and live the experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like your quote. It is something that we can all relate to, and it's true that in order to start our journey we have to take the first step into the unknown. I can't wait to see what exciting things we will find and what things we can do outside of our comfort zone. There will be so many experiences that we will encounter and create memories from.

      Delete
    2. I think that this is an excellent quote, not just in regards to traveling but in regard to life as well. You can't accomplish anything until you start it. Especially since you're just beginning your travel experiences, this is a great way to start out.

      Delete
  3. One of my favorite travel quotes is: "Of all the books in the books in the world, the best stories are found between the pages of a passport." -Unknown

    This quote really speaks to me because I really believe it. I have been outside of the US many times and have found that some of my best memories are while traveling. Even if I am not traveling outside of the US and using a passport the best memories have been on vacations with family and friends. Traveling is a time to go on adventures and explore and not have to worry about what is stressing you out. It is the time that we get to take for ourselves and learn about others and ultimately to learn more about ourselves. I can not wait to see what this trip has in store and what experiences I will encounter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorite memories is a 3 week RV road trip across the US my family took when I was young. I am very thankful for all the places that I can say I've seen because of it. Of course I know I was a bit to young to fully appreciate at the time, but there are still a lot of good memories.

      Delete
    2. I absolutely love this quote! Experiences definitely make the best stories and those are typically found outside of your comfort zone A.K.A anywhere you live. Some of the best memories that I have are from my trips to Africa and Europe.

      Delete
    3. I love this quote! It's so true too! One of the bests books is one that you have lived and experienced yourself, which is exactly what your passport represents. They are definitely memories you can remember forever.

      Delete
  4. I'm not the kind of person who has favorite quotes, so I had to look around for one. I chose the quote by Lao Tzu that says, "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." I like this quote because it is simple and logical, and is very truthful. If you're focused on going to one specific place, you'll miss out on all the opportunities that come along the way. If you play everything by ear, then you can choose the best option in the moment and find places that you would not otherwise have seen. So I think this quote illustrates a good rule for traveling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a way to see it. I can agree with you on that. We should take advantage of great opportunities that will enrich our lives. I have played it by ear before traveling and you learn a lot through the experiences that approach.

      Delete
  5. One of my favorite travel quotes is: "The purpose of the life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience." -Eleanor Roosevelt
    I like this quote because it emphasizes that traveling is more than seeing famous places and checking items off of your bucket list. Going places is about stepping outside of your comfort zone and learning how other people live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like this quote as well because it reminds me that I should be living my life to the fullest and enjoying every experience. Life is short and we need to make the most of it so that we can make wonderful memories.

      Delete
    2. I really like this quote! I've tried to live my life in a similar way, it's not easy but it definitely does make life a lot more exciting.

      Delete
  6. My favorite quote about travel is from the movie The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, "To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life." When I first read this quote, it really inspired me to stop striving to live a "normal" life. I'm not one for change, so I liked the familiar, tangible, controllable, and the unchangeable. At that point in my life, I didn't really know what I wanted to do with my life. I figured that I would get a degree, work 9-5, and go home to a family. And that's okay. But then I really grasped the meaning of this quote. "To see the world..." Travel, explore, and learn. "...things dangerous to come to..." Obviously with travel and exploration there is a risk factor. It pushes you outside your comfort zone and you are not assured what will happen next. "...to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel..." While traveling, you meet new people, make new friends, and maybe even fall in love. "...That is the purpose of life." Life isn't meant to be spent in a 4 x 4 cubical, working 5-9, and having weekends and holidays off. We are creatures that need relationships and have a natural urge to discover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man I love that movie. The quote is really inspiring to get out and travel while you still can. That is why I am so excited to go to China! Once the real adult life comes along I will be glad that I traveled while I could.

      Delete
  7. My favorite quote comes from a movie but is a take on a famous Ghandi quote.

    "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mahatma Gandhi

    The paraphrased version comes from a remake of the Ramona and Beezus movie where a comment is made on how the younger sister always "lives like there's no tomorrow" and I thought, that's the way I want to live my life. So many of us worry about things way in the future and it takes away from living in the current day and the current moment. I'll even find myself waking up Sabbath morning dreading the next week when...the weekend has barely started.

    The second half of the original quote from Ghandi is something that I admire in younger kids. They're always wanting to learn everything about everything. I feel like the standardization of schools has started to take that away from us and we're conditioned to "pass classes" instead of learning. I LOVE learning and I dread the day where I'm no longer capable of doing so, so I'm just trying to do as much as I can before that day comes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my favorite quotes that I love especially when relating to travel is, "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone" by Neale Donald Walsch. I love this quote because growing up I was always a shy kid, but as I've grown and explored the world I've been able to come out of my shell. This quote can be applied to our trip because we are emerging ourselves into the culture of another country and at times we are going to feel uncomfortable, but by going out of our comfort zone we are able to grow and experience things that we were otherwise too scared to do. As one of my favorite characters from the movie UP says, "Adventure is out there." We just have to go out and experience it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that movie! I think this quote really about getting out of your comfort zone is one everyone should read & motivate them to get out there and experience a whole new world. For me I feel it was very hard when I was younger because I was very shy but slowly I have tried to get out of my comfort zone to meet new people and experience something new.

      Delete
    2. I was quite shy myself. My Dad used to tell me that almost anything that pushes you outside of your comfort zone is probably something you should do. It's also a lot easier to push past our comfort zones when we are in a foreign environment, even if it's simply an unfamiliar city in the US.

      Delete
  9. One of my favorite quotes about traveling is : "We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us." I really like this quote because most of the time people get tired of their life and try to escape their problems by traveling somewhere thinking it will make a difference but I don't think that's the right mindset to have when you plan to travel. I especially love this quote because life is short so by traveling & experiencing new places and culture really makes life worth living.
    We should all not let life escape us but pursuit the life we want to live & travel where we want to go & learn from the people we meet on any journey we take. I hope to meet new people & embrace a new culture in China. I can't wait for the experiences waiting for me & the stories I can bring back to tell my family and friends from China.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true! I found a quote that said "Traveling is not a reward for working, it's education for living" Unknown. Which goes kind of with what your quote says. Sometimes we think that it is just an escape, but what wonderful it would be if we all saw it as an experience to grow and to better ourselves!

      Delete
  10. One of the quotes that I like the most about traveling is: “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” by Marcel Proust. I really like this quote because sometimes we forget to have a good attitude while traveling. It isn't just about going somewhere new, but to have the right attitude to enjoy everything even if the landscape is not pretty. We must be willing to enjoy even the bad things in order to enjoy the whole trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked this quote because it reminded me of perspectives. I have this idea of what China is going to be like, but I think I have to look at it as less of a vacation and more of an educational experience. You perspective of China has the opportunity to change the whole trip.

      Delete
  11. One of my favorite quotes on traveling that I have read in the past is: "Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer" -Anonymous. I really like this quote because when you pay for travel you're not only buying a plane ticket but an opportunity. You're buying an opportunity to experience life in another culture's perspective. When you travel it makes you richer in your knowledge of the world and new situations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like that quote as well. I know that for me, traveling as always opened my mind to some many new and exciting places, people, and ideas. It is easy to look at a ticket for $2000 dollars and wonder if it is worth it. But I'm pretty sure it is.

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a lot of favorite quotes but for this trip I decided to share, "Fill your life with adventures, not things. Have stories to tell not stuff to show." It never crossed my mind that I would join this trip and here I am. Life is short and we need to leave our story. What better way than to have a story of travels and adventures? I want to live my life to the fullest and travel is the way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The quote that I chose was “Two roads diverged in a wood and I — I took the one less traveled by" from a poem by Robert Frost. This quote reminded me about my decision to come to China. I had wanted to go somewhere this summer and I had a choice between going to Europe and going to China. My decision to go to China was very last minute, but the reason I decided to was because I wanted to go somewhere different. I thought to myself that I will have more opportunity to go to Europe than to travel to China. Even though I have never been to Europe either, I wanted to do go somewhere that would be different from "western" culture. I also will remember this quote while I am China too. I want to do things that are different and to make the most of my time in a completely new place.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” – Andre Gide

    I love this quote because it contrast the joy of adventure with the pain of leaving familiarity. I think that for some, adventure comes naturally, and departing for a new land is but another day in the life. However, for many of us, leaving what we know and love is a scary thing. It does take courage to leave and travel to the unknown. The quote above, tells us that we cannot have the adventure we seek without giving something up. I think that remembering this can make the whole experience more fulfilling.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The words that popped into my head as I read the prompt weren't necessarily a quote, but a traditional gaelic blessing. This blessing is a favorite of my brother's, who would often say it when I would leave home to head back to good ole Tennessee. This blessing is also posted right by our backdoor. So the words carry comfort and a feeling of home with me wherever I go.


    "May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind be always at your back.
    May the sun shine warm upon your face;
    the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,
    may God hold you in the palm of His hand."

    Traditional Gaelic Blessing

    ReplyDelete
  18. "Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life" by Jack Kerouac from his book On the Road. This is one of my favorite quotes because he lives in the moment and all that matters to him is traveling on being on the move. It sometimes feels like I all I want to do is continually travel.

    ReplyDelete